Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
This is the first page from an art journal I began this past winter. I have to give a nod to Kelly Kilmer for getting me motivated to start (once again!). She has a daily art journal/collage/painting/prompt offered on her website A Prompt a Day.
I was more interested in getting some color and collage into a book and let the journaling come later. So I fashioned my own signatures and sewed them into a cover of a discarded hardback book. This first page is layered with lots o f drybrush acrylic paint, collage from my stash, including the removable holy card which is from my grandfather's funeral nearly 40 years ago. I like leaving plenty of space to actually write in journals, (rather than filling them up with collage). This page also includes rub on letters, colored pencil, paper scraps, German scrap wings, silver metallic and black pens.
Besides this page, I spent some time today scanning pages that I've painted so that I have "before" and "after" pics of my pages. Here's another spread before journaling. Layers of dry brushed acrylics, collaged tags, papers, and stickers. I think these fit in nicely with the concept of layering, especially the paint, that we are exploring in Techniques Sunday with the mmartfriends yahoo group.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
I'm in the mood to finish up some projects that have languished for awhile.
I made a little quiltie out of fabric paper, felt, machine stitching, and embossing powder. Not sure where it is going after this!
Later I added some pockets to the inside of another quilted piece and made a bookcover for a 6" x 8" journal.
I'm in the midst of repainting over some "failed" canvases. It's nice to work with a base of texture and color.
Friday, July 17, 2009
This little quiltie includes a fabric transfer of a vintage image, machine embroidery on a Lutradur scrap; fibers and ribbons, and commercial fabric. 6.5" x 9"
Saturday, July 11, 2009
This one was an exploration embedding black, soft, lacey paper in beeswax for the first layer, followed by floral ribbon. The ribbon reacted to the heat by shriveling into a bird-like form. I then added assorted beads to the melted wax, incised circles and arcs, and added alchol inks and copper oil sticks for color. The substrate is a 5" cradled board.